I am a remote Android freelancer from the UK, I’m available now to develop your app. This is the latest version of my portfolio, you can also find my CV here. Here is what I bring to the table:
- 20+ years of development experience (games, apps and tools), with 13 of them being exclusively on the mobile phone
- Finalist in Google Android developer competition 2 (with Sonorox), Winner of Young Software Engineer of the year award in 2002, Best Scottish software engineering project 2002 from Spektra (with a small MMO called VARS), TIGA games finalist in 2012 (with The Dead Walk), Winner of Razer OSVR developer fund (2016 with Genocide Dolphins)
- Ranked in TopTal‘s best freelance Android engineers in the world (Nov 2013-July 2015)
- 100% ranking on PeoplePerHour.com from 14 reviews (also highly recommended on LinkedIn – links on bottom of my CV)
- BSc Computer Science (Hons), MSc Technology & Innovation Management (A+ Distinction) – dissertation and thesis both in Java (both received A+ Distinction)
- Over 100 finished projects since 1995, and over seventy million downloads of my apps!
- One of the earliest Oculus Rift VR game developers – runner up in VRJAM 2013 (Oculus VR game jam) with a rift compatible FPS (I now have a VR portfolio).
- Augmented Reality (AR) developer currently using Vuforia/Unity3D (I now have an AR portfolio)
- Highly skilled in Codename One allowing delivery of multi-platform native apps including Android, iPhone and Windows Phone (see Codename One portfolio) some examples are shown below.
- Many, many other projects completed, some of which cannot be shown for legal reasons.
- I have also worked as a writer in the technology industry (Amiga Format, Taipei Times and more), a graphic designer and a visual effects creator for some big name clients, my favourite being The Future Sound Of London (see my videos). I am also a VJ providing live visuals which react to sound for night clubs, the software was custom written by myself (some videos).
Browse my portfolio and get in touch to discuss your requirements. Towards the bottom you can see what I was doing before Android arrived, and also see some of my side projects (I am trying to document my entire career ultimately). Note some projects have links to additional screenshots and video – others don’t – I will add more and more as I get time! Also note the dates on these entries are not yet correct, I’ve just made them “in order” for now, a quick menu will be added soon too so you don’t have to scroll for hours.
Gareth Murfin (firstname.lastname@example.org) aka Gaz.
Add me Skype if you wish to chat: gazy1980 (be careful not to add my impostor in China of same name). You can also contact me directly on my own chat system which I am currently prototyping – click here (if you need a chat library for your app check out Circle which powers this chat system).
I have many references but it takes time to chase people up etc, so here I present some quotes from previous emails which have been sent out to people asking for references.
Project Manager at Saatchi & Saatchi:
“Gareth is one of the most talented Programmer/Developers I have ever had the pleasure of working work. So much so, that I have introduced and recommended him on to a hand full of agencies here in Cape Town and all of them have had the same kind of response as I have.”
Project Manager at Sasol:
“Even though his hourly rate is higher than the companies I have outsourced too, he has saved me money and time because of his quick understanding and dare I say genius. A better developer you will have difficulty in finding.”
Project Manager at IWICS:
“Gareth is professional in his work and responsive to our requests and communication. He completed the project on time and to specification. We were highly satisfied with his work.”
Project Manager at YoDJ:
“Gareth met the scope of the project and even went beyond the call of duty a few times.
I would definitely work and recommend Gareth for future projects.”
Here is a LinkedIn recommendation from my former producer at DC Studios (a mobile games studio where I worked as a games developer, porter and eventually designer):
Frank Bullen Senior Engineer at Metaforic Limited:
Gaz is the the most enthusiastic software engineer I’ve ever worked with.
He really loves what he does for a living with a passion and it shows in his work. He is high energy and tends to bolster the team’s morale with his consistent positive attitude. He picks up new technologies and platforms lightening quick, making software development in a challenging games environment look easy. I’d not hesitate to recommend him to anyone for any development position or company. Very highly recommended!
December 21, 2009, Frank managed Gareth at DC Studios
Also check out this quick video show reel showing some of the apps on this page in action. Bare in mind this is from 2014, new one coming soon 🙂