I am a remote Android freelancer from the UK, I’m available now to develop your app. This is the latest version of my portfolio, you can also find my CV here. Here is what I bring to the table:
- 25 years of development experience (games, apps and tools), with 15 of them being exclusively on the mobile phone
- Finalist in Google Android developer competition 2 (with Sonorox), Winner of Young Software Engineer of the year award in 2002, Best Scottish software engineering project 2002 from Spektra (with a small MMO called VARS), TIGA games finalist in 2012 (with The Dead Walk), Winner of Razer OSVR developer fund (2016 with Genocide Dolphins)
- Ranked in TopTal‘s best freelance Android engineers in the world (Nov 2013-July 2015)
- 100% ranking on PeoplePerHour.com from 14 reviews (also highly recommended on LinkedIn – links on bottom of my CV)
- BSc Computer Science (Hons), MSc Technology & Innovation Management (A+ Distinction) – dissertation and thesis both in Java (both received A+ Distinction)
- Over 100 finished projects since 1995, and over seventy million downloads of my apps!
- One of the earliest Oculus Rift VR game developers – runner up in VRJAM 2013 (Oculus VR game jam) with a rift compatible FPS (I now have a VR portfolio).
- Augmented Reality (AR) developer currently using Vuforia/Unity3D (I now have an AR portfolio)
- Highly skilled in Codename One allowing delivery of multi-platform native apps including Android, iPhone and Windows Phone (see Codename One portfolio) some examples are shown below.
- Many, many other projects completed, some of which cannot be shown for legal reasons.
- I have also worked as a writer in the technology industry (Amiga Format, Taipei Times and more), a graphic designer and a visual effects creator for some big name clients, my favourite being The Future Sound Of London (see my videos). I am also a VJ providing live visuals which react to sound for night clubs, the software was custom written by myself (some videos).
- 8 years of Unity3D experience making multiplatform 3D games (FPS/3rd person/2D/VR/AR and more).
Browse my portfolio and get in touch to discuss your requirements. Towards the bottom you can see what I was doing before Android arrived, and also see some of my side projects (I am trying to document my entire career ultimately). Note some projects have links to additional screenshots and video – others don’t – I will add more and more as I get time! Also note the dates on these entries are not yet correct, I’ve just made them “in order” for now, a quick menu will be added soon too so you don’t have to scroll for hours.
Gareth Murfin (firstname.lastname@example.org) aka Gaz.
Add me Skype if you wish to chat: gazy1980 (be careful not to add my impostor in China of same name). You can also contact me directly on my own chat system which I am currently prototyping – click here (if you need a chat library for your app check out Circle which powers this chat system).
I have many references but it takes time to chase people up etc, so here I present some quotes from previous emails which have been sent out to people asking for references.
Project Manager at Saatchi & Saatchi:
“Gareth is one of the most talented Programmer/Developers I have ever had the pleasure of working work. So much so, that I have introduced and recommended him on to a hand full of agencies here in Cape Town and all of them have had the same kind of response as I have.”
Project Manager at Sasol:
“Even though his hourly rate is higher than the companies I have outsourced too, he has saved me money and time because of his quick understanding and dare I say genius. A better developer you will have difficulty in finding.”
Project Manager at IWICS:
“Gareth is professional in his work and responsive to our requests and communication. He completed the project on time and to specification. We were highly satisfied with his work.”
Project Manager at YoDJ:
“Gareth met the scope of the project and even went beyond the call of duty a few times.
I would definitely work and recommend Gareth for future projects.”
Here is a LinkedIn recommendation from my former producer at DC Studios (a mobile games studio where I worked as a games developer, porter and eventually designer):
Frank Bullen Senior Engineer at Metaforic Limited:
Gaz is the the most enthusiastic software engineer I’ve ever worked with.
He really loves what he does for a living with a passion and it shows in his work. He is high energy and tends to bolster the team’s morale with his consistent positive attitude. He picks up new technologies and platforms lightening quick, making software development in a challenging games environment look easy. I’d not hesitate to recommend him to anyone for any development position or company. Very highly recommended!
December 21, 2009, Frank managed Gareth at DC Studios
Also check out this quick video show reel showing some of the apps on this page in action. Bare in mind this is from 2014, new one coming soon 🙂
Be part of CBBC BUZZ. The app that everyone is BUZZing about!
It’s free, it’s fun and there’s something for you, whatever you’re into!
There’s loads of cool stuff you can play and get involved with in CBBC BUZZ.
• Super-fun mini-games
• Daily challenges
• Funny videos
• Make your own memes
• Wild and wicked stickers
• Design your own emojis
• Have fun with your favourite celebs, shows and CBBC characters
• Draw and share your amazing creations with other BUZZERS
• Get your amazing Buzz drawings, creations and selfies shown on TV
• Join the BUZZ SQUAD and be part of the coolest community there is!
Sound like something you want to be part of? Download CBBC BUZZ today and see what all the BUZZ is about!
Merlin is a client app for Merlin Protect, which is an online system for business security. Merlin Protect is in use in many large organisations and buildings around the world including recently Sainsbury’s. I took on the maintenance and development of new features on this app. Ultimately the app was ported to codenameone to allow for native Android and iOS versions. This means it can now run on almost any device out there (as seen below on various phones and tablets).
The Merlin Mobile App provides users access to their Merlin Protect 24/7 software platform on the go, anywhere, any time. Using their current, secure Merlin Protect 24/7 login details they can have instant access to all the reporting and functions in real time wherever they are and all data entered is synced within the Merlin Protect 24/7 audit system.
The electronic Control Room Day Book is an integrated application that is utilised to capture and manage occurrence information in any environment where manual occurrence books are normally used.
Daily tasks are prescribed by the specific assignment instructions and can be tailored to the user. Essentially, all tasks that have to be completed that day are displayed on the handheld device, the task can either be ticked off by the user or where QR codes are utilized scanned onto the mobile device when complete. This provides for real time monitoring which increases the security teams value to the client and provides greater safeguarding of assets and facilities.
SOPs/AIs can be accessed via the app, enabling staff to follow procedures in a consistent manner and ensures clarity and precision in their approach. This means that no matter who is managing the procedure, the outcome is the same and you will be able to audit the actions taken every time.
Supporting information, such as photographs, pdfs, word and excel documents can also be uploaded to the report from the device.
The ‘Officially Licenced’ mobile phone game version of the 80’s SUPER smash-hit coin-operated arcade game from Elite / Technos
The ‘Officially Licenced’ mobile phone game version of the 80’s SUPER smash-hit coin-operated arcade game from Elite / Technos In this retro classic you play one of two siblings Billy and Jimmy, each trained in the art of Sousetsuken, in a battle against a violent American street gang known as the Black Warriors. Your aim is to rescue Billy’s lover Marian who has been captured by the Black Warriors.
Three challenging levels:You start in a street, move into a factory then end up in a castle. There are a variety of moves such as kicks, elbows, head-butts, uppercuts, kneeing in the face and throws. You can steal weapons from enemies such as knives, clubs, whips and more to use them against any of the enemies. You can also use oil drums and crates to throw at your enemies. If you run out of time you will lose a life. There are also instant die situations when you tread carefully and avoid holes so be on your guard at all times…