I am a remote Android freelancer from the UK, I’m available now to develop your app. This is the latest version of my portfolio, you can also find my CV here or go directly to my previous apps here. Here is what I bring to the table:
- Over 25 years of development experience (games, apps and tools), with 20 of them being almost exclusively on the mobile phone.
- Single handedly developed apps for BBC, ITV, Premier League, NHS, Sainsburys, Royal Ascot, Alton Towers, Peppa Pig World, Angry Birds Land, CBeebies Land, Magners, Sinclair, Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes, Saatchi & Saatchi to name but a few.
- Finalist in Google Android developer competition 2 (with Sonorox – 6th in world), Winner of UK Young Software Engineer of the year award in 2002, Best Scottish software engineering project 2002 from Spectra (with an MMO called VARS), TIGA games finalist in 2012 (with The Dead Walk), Winner of Razer OSVR developer fund (2016 with Genocide Dolphins), Finalist in the First Startup Labs Program in Taipei (with The Dead Walk), holder of Taiwan elite Gold Card Visa for Software Development
- Released commercial Commodore Amiga games worldwide before I left school (Ultimate Gloom, Zombie Massacre).
- Successfully licensed my “Mango Booth Finger Paint” technology to BBC for CBBC Buzz and to PicCollage (a global top 10 app).
- Ranked in TopTal‘s best freelance Android engineers in the world (Nov 2013-July 2015)
- 100% ranking on PeoplePerHour.com (#25 in the world rankings) also highly recommended on LinkedIn – links on bottom of my CV
- BSc Computer Science (Hons), MSc Technology & Innovation Management (A+ Distinction) – dissertation and thesis both in Java (both received A+ Distinction, Masters degree received highest grade the University of Stirling have ever issued in their history)
- Over 200 finished projects since 1995, and over 80 million downloads of my apps!
- Experience working on very large commercial projects (+ knowledge of console development), I was a developer (& voice actor) on Grand Theft Auto – Vice City in 2001 for Rockstar North/Take Two, one of the biggest selling games in history (GTA VC sold 17.5 million copies PS2, PC, PSP, XBOX).
- One of the earliest Oculus Rift VR game developers – runner up in VRJAM 2013 (Oculus VR game jam) with a rift compatible FPS (I now have a VR portfolio).
- Augmented Reality (AR) developer currently using Vuforia/Unity3D (I now have an AR portfolio) – I developed prototypes for Marvel Comics.
- Highly skilled in Codename One and also Dart/Flutter allowing delivery of multi-platform native apps including Android, iPhone and Windows Phone (see Codename One portfolio) some examples are shown below.
- Developed the first ever bluecast Bluetooth advertising solution for world’s largest mall in Dubai, in-car prototypes for Seattle police, the first mobile trading tools for the London stock exchange and prototype software for London Ambulance Service.
- 10 years of Unity3D & C# experience making multiplatform 3D games (FPS/3rd person/2D/VR/AR and more) (Unity portfolio) – see my epic open world cyberpunk game Genocide Dolphins (still in production and developed entirely alone for almost a decade – see some gameplay footage from 2019, new video soon!).
- I am also skilled in Kotlin (12 months experience so far, 2 full apps developed including a canvas based game).
- Many, many other projects completed, some of which cannot be shown for legal reasons.
- I have also worked as a writer in the technology industry (Amiga Format, CU Amiga, Taipei Times, Rush Magazine and more), a graphic designer and a visual effects creator for some big name clients (producing posters, flyers, music videos and live VJ sets), my favourite being The Future Sound Of London (see my videos). I am also a VJ providing live visuals which react to sound for the largest night clubs in Taipei, Taiwan (Luxy), the software (Ferox Neutrino) was custom written by myself (some videos).
- I have also created official music videos for famous Taiwanese bands such as LTK Commune (aka LTK, Taiwanese: Lô-chúi-khoe Kong-siā 濁水溪公社). I was second in the Urban Nomad Film Fest (城市游牧影展) in Taiwan (2011) with a movie called ‘Abaddon‘ – which was shown at Huashan 1914 Creative Park and Taipei Cultural Center + others, as well as being archived as an important piece of Taiwanese culture. I have produced multiple videos for music labels such as ‘Future Proof Taiwan’ to name but a few. On all of these videos I was director, producer, special effects creator and editor. A couple of examples shown below.
Browse my portfolio and get in touch to discuss your requirements. Towards the bottom you can see what I was doing before Android & iPhone arrived, the original app era on the classic Nokias, I was at the forefront.
Gareth Murfin (firstname.lastname@example.org) aka Gaz.
Add me on Skype if you wish to chat: gazy1980.
Whilst working as a PS2 console programmer in Scotland for Rockstar North on “GTA Vice City” I was awarded “Software engineer of the year award” (2002), for previous work on my online world “VARS” – which allowed for virtual reunuions in an isometic world based on your university campus. Kriss Akabusi presented me with a trophy and cash prize at The Grand Sheraton Hotel in Edinburgh.
In 2020 I was awarded an elite Taiwan “Gold Card” visa in software development for my life time achievements in the industry. Less than 100 people hold these, the first is Steve Chen founder of Youtube. I currently reside in Taiwan and do all of my development remotely from here.
Project Manager at Saatchi & Saatchi:
“Gareth is one of the most talented Programmer/Developers I have ever had the pleasure of working work. So much so, that I have introduced and recommended him on to a hand full of agencies here in Cape Town and all of them have had the same kind of response as I have.”
Project Manager at Sasol:
“Even though his hourly rate is higher than the companies I have outsourced too, he has saved me money and time because of his quick understanding and dare I say genius. A better developer you will have difficulty in finding.”
Producer at Elite Systems:
“Gareth has a great understanding of various programming languages and is always willing to put maximum effort into any project. He’s very punctual and always available when you need him.”
Head of Technology at Digitalist Group:
“We’ve hired Gareth on a few occasions to deliver the j2me part of mobile campaigns and he’s proved to be a real asset. Gareth has demonstrated great ability to drive a project from concept to delivery with minimal input, work under pressure, excellent knowledge of J2ME platforms with hands on experience for a wide-range of apps (from data-driven to full-blown games). ‘Can do’ mentality, consistent, reliable. Looking forward to working with Gareth in many more projects”
Project Manager at IWICS:
“Gareth is professional in his work and responsive to our requests and communication. He completed the project on time and to specification. We were highly satisfied with his work.”
UI/UX Designer at Siemens:
“Gareth is a reliable and persistent guy that is able to pull off the seeming impossible in crazy timeframes and has a real flare for mobile games development across multiple platforms and console game development.”
Technical producer at DC Studios (in-house role) :
“Gaz is the the most enthusiastic software engineer I’ve ever worked with. He really loves what he does for a living with a passion and it shows in his work. He is high energy and tends to bolster the team’s morale with his consistent positive attitude. He picks up new technologies and platforms lightening quick, making software development in a challenging games environment look easy. I’d not hesitate to recommend him to anyone for any development position or company. Very highly recommended!”
Project Manager at YoDJ:
“Gareth met the scope of the project and even went beyond the call of duty a few times. I would definitely work and recommend Gareth for future projects.”
IT at FMC Lithium:
“I worked with Gareth on a web project, I produced some graphics while he constructed the site and liaised with the customer. He was very easy to work with and clear about the specifications of the project. Good communication and sound forward planning made the project run very smoothly and it was completed way ahead of time.“
Also check out this quick video show reel showing some of the apps on this page in action. Bear in mind this is from 2014, new one coming soon 🙂
For examples of my game development work you can see the following two videos.
My personal project which will be released in the future.
An example of my Unity abilities, music by Opal Beau.
Music video developed in Unity & After Effects for Colourdomes Taiwan, published by Future Proof record label.
OK, now on with the apps, these are all developed entirely by me as a one man programmer (obviously art and backend API are usually supplied). I receive requirements, quote, take 25% upfront and then get to work. On average an app can be completed in around 8 to 12 weeks depending on availablity and complexity. I can deliver simultaneously on iOS and Android for an extra fee (which is 90% cheaper than getting them developed separately). More magic can be worked if required, like a web version of your app, or even a standalone PC or Mac version, it’s all up to you.
Note: I have developed over 50 of my own apps (on many platforms), which will be documented here soon.
QUICK LINKS to the apps shown on this page, almost all Android, but also some iOS, J2ME, Unity, PC, PS2 etc. Click on links or simply scroll down to see in order.
- Vox Messenger (Secure Android Messenger App)
- Pippa Bluetooth LE cooking application (iOS and Android)
- Vuebox – (Android, New Social Video Platform)
- Bodwell Private High School App (Android/iOS)
- Dr Julian Appointment App for NHS (Android)
- MJFFSensors (Android + Android Wear for The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research)
- Ideas @ Work for Oasis Investment Company / Al Shirawi (Android)
- UCVME. Job App (Android)
- CBBC Buzz (Android App for BBC Broadcasting company)
- Hello Daisy (Android TV & set top box app)
- Merlin App for Merlin Protect 24/7 (Android/iOS app for Sainsbury’s, developed in codenameone)
- AlcoPath (Android App for Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS)
- VR Helicopter simulation for Indian Military (OSVR+Unity3D)
- Raffler (Android, iOS [Codename One] for Saatchi & Saatchi)
- Clinix (Android app for NHS)
- London Ambulance Service (Volounteers) – Location App (Android)
- The Recreated Sinclair ZX Spectrum (Android app)
- YoDJ – A Jukebox in your pocket! (Android)
- Wowser! (Wessex Water App for Android/iOS, developed in Unity3D)
- OLAM OFIS (Android app for Olam Farmer Information System)
- Sasol Official App (delivered native Android, iOS and Blackberry versions simultaneously [Codename One])
- PicCollage (Android. Over 70 million downloads)
- Warsash Maritime Academy
- Encrypto (secure VOIP for government use) Android
- Electrolux & AEG
- Alton Towers Resort (& CBeebies Land)
- Thorpe Park theme park (& Angry Birds Land)
- Mitsubishi Motors Badminton Horse Trials
- Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials
- Royal Ascot Racecourse
- Paultons Park (& Peppa Pig World) theme park
- Magners (Irish Cider) Bee Beard
- BasicFit Gym
- Health City Gym
- Migo (Subscription Video On Demand for J2ME, Android)
- Double Dragon EX (Native Android/iOS port for Elite Systems using Codenameone)
- Super Nurse (NHS)
- Chuckie Egg (Retro Android conversion for Elite Systems)
- Kurakku. (iOS)
- Life before Android (J2ME / Blackberry)
- Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes F1
- Music festivals: Sonisphere, Relentless NASS, Bloodstock, Bestival, Wakestock, Boardmasters, Rockness, Camden Crawl, Evolution, Winter Wonderland, Freeze & more!
- Puzzle Bobble / Bust-a-Move (Microsoft/Danger Hiptop/T-Mobile Sidekick smartphone)
- Paperboy 2: Wheels on fire (10 device ports for J2ME Mobile: Nokia S40 / S60 / Samsung, Siemens, Motorola, Sony Ericsson et al)
- Be The Boss (J2ME/Mobile – Barclays Premier League and Birmingham Football Club)
- OILspace mobile app (J2ME/JavaME, Nokia, Siemens etc)
- Bad Lads Army (J2ME Mobile game for ITV television and Lucozade)
- Planet Sagem Racer (Sagem MY Z-55 embedded game, JavaME)
- Earlier Works (mostly Java SE/ME & even some Amiga stuff)
- Open Heavens (J2ME, Blackberry, + later: Android, iOS)
- Ice Age Skater (J2ME Mobile: Nokia S40 / S60 / Samsung, Siemens, Motorola, Sony Ericsson et al)
- NHRA Championship Racing (J2ME Mobile: Nokia S40 / S60 / Samsung, Siemens, Motorola, Sony Ericsson et al)
- Sprintz (Windows based in-bar drinking game for boysstuff.co.uk, wowstuff.co.uk)
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Playstation2 / PC / Mac / Xbox / PSP / Android / iOS)
- Life before mobiles. Web site development. 20+ commercial websites (between 1997-2002).
- Zombie Massacre (1998, Alpha Software – Commodore Amiga)
- Ultimate Gloom (1998, Alpha Software – Commodore Amiga)
- Personal Projects (Genocide Dolphins, The Dead Walk, DeadPlusPlus, Lapsetastic)
Game based glitch art. Keep scrolling 🙂