I am a remote Android freelancer from the UK, I’m available now to develop your app. This is the latest version of my portfolio, you can also find my CV here. Here is what I bring to the table:
- 25 years of development experience (games, apps and tools), with 15 of them being exclusively on the mobile phone
- Finalist in Google Android developer competition 2 (with Sonorox), Winner of Young Software Engineer of the year award in 2002, Best Scottish software engineering project 2002 from Spektra (with a small MMO called VARS), TIGA games finalist in 2012 (with The Dead Walk), Winner of Razer OSVR developer fund (2016 with Genocide Dolphins)
- Ranked in TopTal‘s best freelance Android engineers in the world (Nov 2013-July 2015)
- 100% ranking on PeoplePerHour.com (#25 in the world rankings) also highly recommended on LinkedIn – links on bottom of my CV
- BSc Computer Science (Hons), MSc Technology & Innovation Management (A+ Distinction) – dissertation and thesis both in Java (both received A+ Distinction)
- Over 100 finished projects since 1995, and over seventy million downloads of my apps!
- Experience working on very large commercial projects (+ knowledge of console development), I was a developer on Grand Theft Auto – Vice City in 2001 for Rockstar North/Take Two, one of the biggest selling games in history.
- One of the earliest Oculus Rift VR game developers – runner up in VRJAM 2013 (Oculus VR game jam) with a rift compatible FPS (I now have a VR portfolio).
- Augmented Reality (AR) developer currently using Vuforia/Unity3D (I now have an AR portfolio)
- Highly skilled in Codename One allowing delivery of multi-platform native apps including Android, iPhone and Windows Phone (see Codename One portfolio) some examples are shown below.
- Many, many other projects completed, some of which cannot be shown for legal reasons.
- I have also worked as a writer in the technology industry (Amiga Format, Taipei Times and more), a graphic designer and a visual effects creator for some big name clients, my favourite being The Future Sound Of London (see my videos). I am also a VJ providing live visuals which react to sound for night clubs, the software was custom written by myself (some videos).
- 8 years of Unity3D experience making multiplatform 3D games (FPS/3rd person/2D/VR/AR and more) (Unity portfolio).
- Currently learning Kotlin (6 months experience so far)
Browse my portfolio and get in touch to discuss your requirements. Towards the bottom you can see what I was doing before Android & iPhone arrived, the original app era on the classic Nokias, I was at the forefront.
Gareth Murfin (firstname.lastname@example.org) aka Gaz.
Add me on Skype if you wish to chat: gazy1980 (be careful not to add my impostor in China of same name).
**Update August 2019** Please note I am actively seeking a fulltime remote role right now (in Android Apps or Games). I will stop freelancing when I find one.
Project Manager at Saatchi & Saatchi:
“Gareth is one of the most talented Programmer/Developers I have ever had the pleasure of working work. So much so, that I have introduced and recommended him on to a hand full of agencies here in Cape Town and all of them have had the same kind of response as I have.”
Project Manager at Sasol:
“Even though his hourly rate is higher than the companies I have outsourced too, he has saved me money and time because of his quick understanding and dare I say genius. A better developer you will have difficulty in finding.”
Producer at Elite Systems:
“Gareth has a great understanding of various programming languages and is always willing to put maximum effort into any project. He’s very punctual and always available when you need him.”
Head of Technology at Digitalist Group:
“We’ve hired Gareth on a few occasions to deliver the j2me part of mobile campaigns and he’s proved to be a real asset. Gareth has demonstrated great ability to drive a project from concept to delivery with minimal input, work under pressure, excellent knowledge of J2ME platforms with hands on experience for a wide-range of apps (from data-driven to full-blown games). ‘Can do’ mentality, consistent, reliable. Looking forward to working with Gareth in many more projects”
Project Manager at IWICS:
“Gareth is professional in his work and responsive to our requests and communication. He completed the project on time and to specification. We were highly satisfied with his work.”
UI/UX Designer at Siemens:
“Gareth is a reliable and persistent guy that is able to pull off the seeming impossible in crazy timeframes and has a real flare for mobile games development across multiple platforms and console game development.”
Technical producer at DC Studios (in-house role) :
“Gaz is the the most enthusiastic software engineer I’ve ever worked with. He really loves what he does for a living with a passion and it shows in his work. He is high energy and tends to bolster the team’s morale with his consistent positive attitude. He picks up new technologies and platforms lightening quick, making software development in a challenging games environment look easy. I’d not hesitate to recommend him to anyone for any development position or company. Very highly recommended!”
Project Manager at YoDJ:
“Gareth met the scope of the project and even went beyond the call of duty a few times. I would definitely work and recommend Gareth for future projects.”
IT at FMC Lithium:
“I worked with Gareth on a web project, I produced some graphics while he constructed the site and liaised with the customer. He was very easy to work with and clear about the specifications of the project. Good communication and sound forward planning made the project run very smoothly and it was completed way ahead of time.“
Also check out this quick video show reel showing some of the apps on this page in action. Bear in mind this is from 2014, new one coming soon 🙂
For examples of my game development work you can see the following two videos.
My personal project which will be released in the future.
An example of my Unity abilities, music by Opal Beau.
OK, now on with the apps, these are all developed entirely by me as a one man programmer (obviously art and backend API are usually supplied). I receive requirements, quote, take 25% upfront and then get to work. On average an app can be completed in around 8 to 12 weeks depending on availablity and complexity. I can deliver simultaneously on iOS and Android for an extra fee (which is 90% cheaper than getting them developed separately). More magic can be worked if required, like a web version of your app, or even a standalone PC or Mac version, it’s all up to you.
Note: I have developed over 50 of my own apps (on many platforms), which will be documented here soon.